Thursday 8 March 2012

We can't all be energizer bunnies - Recharging those batteries.

We all know that feeling as mothers, the one of pure exhaustion when you aren't completely sure you can carry on.  It's not just being physically tired, though that is a big part of it.  It's that constant giving and giving that mothers are so good at.  We are so good at giving of ourselves that often we forget to recharge our own batteries.  There is always children who have needs to be met, dishes to be done, laundry to do, and for many moms there is work in the mix too.  Not to mention that some of us have partners that may want a little face time too once and a while! 

Set up your own creative photo shoot
So when you are a mother and you give and give and give, who recharges you?  It is a question that I challenge you to ask yourself.  I'm hoping one of your answers would be "Me!" and hopefully others who support you in your life too - maybe your partner, maybe your friends or family members.  As a professional, I see moms all the time drained to the point where they aren't meeting anyone's needs anymore and it is negatively impacting their family.  As a mother myself, I know when I need to recharge my own batteries.  Self care is one of the most important priorities that every parent needs to have.  Some would describe it as compensating yourself as a mother.  We get paid to work, but of course no one is paying us to be parents (you can't put a dollar value on such an important job).  So how do we compensate ourselves?  I have a few points for you to think about and some suggestions that may help you get into the mindset of caring for yourself as well as you do your children.

  • Ask yourself the question: when was the last time I sat down just for the sake of sitting down?  Not because you were eating a meal with your children, but just sat down for you.  You may be surprised at how long it's been!
  • When was the last time you did something purely for you, whether it be taking a bubble bath or dusting off one of the numerous hobbies you used to work at pre-children?
  • What are some of the activities you do with your family that recharge you and how can you capitalize on those times outside of your regular routine?
These questions will hopefully get you thinking.  The most important thing I will say is we have to give ourselves permission as mothers to care for ourselves and know that it is important.  Too often I believe it is easy to allow our own needs to fall by the wayside, or to see some "me" time as selfish.

Some ideas I have around self care activities many of you may have done or do already, so I am open to suggestions and comments.  Here are some of my personal favourites, some take more time than others and some can be done alone or with your family:

Dive into craft time
  • Bubble baths with candles and maybe a little treat (yes I do like to eat chocolate in the tub....).
  • Self pedicures.  Always preferable for me to have someone else rub lotion on those tired feet and maybe paint those toes, but lets face it salons usually charge enough to buy a good few bags of groceries and some of us don't like our feet touched by someone else anyway!
  • A cup of tea or coffee and a five minute sit.  This is what I was talking about before, sitting down and taking a mini break can make a huge difference in your day.
  • Family walks.  These are a great time to visit with your children and maybe your partner and get some of that needed exercise.  After supper can be a really good time to do this for some families because if you have a partner you both may be home at this time to join in too.
  • My personal favourite: dishes/laundry strike!  Maybe I am encouraging "bad housekeeping" techniques but really...will it hurt for the dishes or laundry to wait one night so you can watch a movie after the kids are in bed or maybe tackle some of that long put off project you enjoy doing? I would suggest that the dishes will wait, in fact I have tested the theory and have concluded that nothing seems to fall apart the next day if the dishes aren't done.
  • Hobbies ladies! Some mom's love to scrapbook, sew, create, some moms love to blog.  It is very healthy to have something that you can decompress yourself with and creating something gives us that sense of accomplishment.
  • I hate to say it and you all may groan...but exercise.  Even a few at home exercises.  You can find lots of suggestions on the Internet that can get the ol' heart going and give you a boost of energy.
  • An obvious one that many moms engage in is playgroups or play dates with other moms.  It is an awesome way to occupy the kids, while getting some much needed adult time.
  • Craft time! I don't know about you, but colouring or splattering some paint with my kids is more relaxing than you would think.  The key is to enjoy it and try to forget that you have to clean it all up after....haha
Lots of communities have spray parks that are a great place for everyone to cool off and relax!














There are so many ways to relax, I repeat myself when I say we need to give ourselves permission as moms.  We deserve to be recharged and the only person who is going to be able to initiate that is you.  If you are having difficulty giving yourself permission I will quote a long standing "Loreal" slogan...:"Because you're worth it!"

So Mom Is Not a Four Letter Word readers....what do you do to care for yourself?

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!! We do need time to just sit!! We forget about the dishes at night and sit and watch a movie instead. My escape is having a hot shower in the morning which you can read about on my blog..
    http://mycrowdedlittlenest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this too! Great ideas! We go for walks with the kids after supper(with the dishes skipped!) I give each of the kids a bucket so they can pick up things along the way. Some of these things end up in our family flower garden. We live on a gravel road so there's always something that they find cool to pick up. The fresh air is a great recharge for me but it also helps the kids sleep better. For those of you that have older kids, take the bikes out and encourage some races....uses up some of that excess energy.

    ReplyDelete