Monday 23 January 2012

Fridge Magnets

Fridge magnets, sometimes they can hold more meaning than something to simply hold up your grocery list.  That has never been more true for me than when I read a fridge magnet on a co-worker's file cabinet one day, before I had even planned to become a mother. 

"The best feeling in the world is a child's hand in mine."

I remember thinking: "aww that was sweet," and the cartoon picture of the little girl holding hands with their parent was cute.  I never realised that that fridge magnet would stick in my mind throughout my journey of becoming a parent and experiencing motherhood.  Oh I had worked with families who had children and needed support in my professional world, and of course, I have my own mother.  Yet, I never knew the deepest meaning of the word when that tiny hand gripped my finger, gave me that first "baby high five", and held my hand walking down the street talking about her day.  I still think of that magnet I read five years ago, a thousand kilometres away, in a time where it was just me and my husband.  What the heck did I do with myself?!?

I hope to travel with the readers of this blog, exploring with "Northern Mom" the "magnets" in life that affect mothers and their families.  I hope to share some of my experiences working with mothers in their homes, my own experiences as a mother, and how they all seem to fit together to create a fridge where the magnets are knocked and ripped off daily because there are just so many!

Mom of all trades

No comments:

Post a Comment